Stretching Advice – Stretching Zone / Lower Body Stretches
Stretching is a simple and effective activity that helps to enhance athletic performance, decrease the likelihood of soft tissue injury and minimise muscle soreness.
Other benefits include:
- improved range of movement ;
- increased power;
- improved posture;
- improved co-ordination.
The Rules for Safe Stretching:
Slowly get into the stretch position and then hold each stretch for a minimum of 20 seconds. Remember, stretching can be extremely dangerous and harmful if done incorrectly, so please adhere to the following rules.
- Never stretch an injury or damaged soft tissue.
- Warm-up prior to stretching.
- Stretch before and after exercise.
- Stretch all major muscles and their opposing muscle groups.
- Stretch gently and slowly.
- Stretch only to the point of tension.
- Breathe slowly and easily while stretching.